1800 Calorie Diabetic Diet
A 1800 calorie diabetic diet means eating no more than 1800 calories of food each day. You may need this diet to control your blood sugar or lose weight. Or lower your risk for heart problems.
Blood sugar is the amount of glucose (simple sugar) in your blood. Glucose is the main source of energy for your body. Glucose comes from carbohydrates in your diet.
A diabetic diet limits how much carbohydrate (kar-bo-hi-drate), fat, and protein you eat. A 1800 calorie diet is low in calories and fat.
A diabetic diet sample of a 1800 calorie diet is listed below. You can exchange or trade one food for another from the same food group.
For example, you can choose 1 slice of bread instead of 3/4 cup of another dry cereal. Or you can choose 1/2 cup fruit juice instead of 1-1/4 cups of melon.
Serving sizes: use the list below to measure foods and serving sizes. A serving size means the size of food after it is cooked or prepared.
|Sample Serving Sizes|
- 1 pint or 2 cups (16 fluid ounces) of liquid is the size of 1-1/3 soda-pop cans.
- 1-1/2 cup (12 fluid ounces) of liquid is the size of a soda-pop can.
- 1 cup of food is the size of a large handful, or 8 fluid ounces of liquid.
- 1/2 cup of food is about half of a large handful, or 4 fluid ounces of liquid.
- 2 tablespoons (Tbsp) is about the size of a large walnut.
- 1 tablespoon (Tbsp) is about the size of the tip of your thumb (from the last crease).
- 1 teaspoon (tsp) is about the size of the tip of your little finger (from the last crease).
- 3 ounces of cooked meat, fish, or poultry is about the size of a deck of cards.
- 1 ounce of cooked meat, fish, or poultry is about 1/4 cup (c).
- One ounce of hard cheese is about a 1 inch cube.
- A serving of vegetables is 1/2 cup (1/2 handful) cooked, or 1 cup (1 handful) raw.
|Sample 1800 Calorie Diabetic Diet|
--2 breads or starches, such as 2 cups (16 ounces) bran flakes
--1 fruit, such as 1 small banana (5 inch) or 3/4 of a 9 inch banana
--1 milk, such as 2 1/2 cups skim or 1% milk
--3 meat or meat substitutes, such as 1 cup cottage cheese or 2 poached eggs
--Make 1 sandwich with 3 ounces meat or protein, such as 2 cups drained water-packed tuna
--Make 1 sandwich with 1 fat, such as 1 tsp regular or 2 tsp low fat mayonnaise
--Make 1 sandwich with 3 vegetables, such as 5 tomato slices and/or 3 lettuce leafs
--Make 1 sandwich with 1 serving of whole-grain bread
--2 fruits, such as 2 medium oranges
--4 1/2 ounces meat or protein, such as lean chicken breast
--1 starch, such as 1 cup cooked whole-grain pasta
--1 fat, such as 1 tsp margarine or sauces
--4 vegetables, such as 3 1/2 cups steamed broccoli
--1 fruit, such as 1-1/2 cup melon (watermelon or cantaloupe) cubed
--1 milk, such as 1 cup skim milk
- Evening Snack:
--3 breads, such as 8 (2-1/2 inch) squares graham crackersClick here for diabetic diet snacks!
- Suggested Supplements:
Click here for a 1800 calorie diabetic diet supplement list!
Return from 1800 Calorie Diabetic Diet to Samples
Return to Diabetic Diet Home Page