New Strategies in
Diabetes Prevention



DNA

Influencing Gene Expression
through Nutrigenomics

The Brd2 gene is a promising new target in diabetes prevention. Researchers succeeded in preventing diabetes in high risk groups by inhibiting the expression (or activation) of the Brd2 gene.

Activating the gene seems to trigger sugar cravings and promote hunger, in order to meet the brain's high energy demand.

It's believed that the Brd2 gene is very active in high risk individuals. Influencing the activity of genes like Bdr2 is a promising new genetic target for diabetes prevention.

Researchers studying the gene concluded, "The strong influence of Brd2 on insulin resistance suggests that inhibiting Brd2 is a promising target for diabetes prevention and treatment."

What You Need to Know
The study of nutrients that influence gene expression is a promising new field of medicine, called nutrigenomics.

It's basically a natural form of gene therapy. Unlike conventional gene therapy that chemically alters the DNA, nutrigenomics influences how a gene is expressed.

It's a safe and effective method in diabetes prevention and treatment. Nutrients are used to turn genes on or off, depending on the desired effect.

Nutrigenomics is a powerful strategy for preventing sugar spikes, improving fasting glucose levels, and restoring insulin sensitivity.



How to Inhibit the Brd2 Gene

The best way to inhibit the Brd2 gene is to keep it turned off. This is possible if you avoid three metabolic states believed to activate the gene...

  1. Fasting

    Fasting for just 4 hours reduces the supply of constant energy required by the brain. The energy deficit activates the Brd2 gene leading to sugar cravings.

    This is why breakfast and eating several times throughout the day are so important.

  2. Chronic Stress

    Chronic stress saturates your body with adrenaline. The effect on the brain is dramatic. Brain cells start to fire like crazy, depleting energy supplies.

    Needing more energy to manage the stress, the brain activates the Brd2 gene. This is why carbohydrates are comfort foods.

    The quick energy that sugar provides keeps you level headed and helps you deal with the stress. But relief is temporary.

    Eating sugar eventually releases more adrenaline which further activates the Brd2 gene.

  3. Systemic Inflammation

    A typical Western diet is load with processed foods that damage cells and tissues, triggering inflammatory reactions. Systemic inflammation is a physical stress effecting the entire body.

    The body responds to any type of stress by releasing adrenaline. As you learned about, adrenaline activates the Brd2 gene.

    But it gets worse...

    Inflammation prevents feeling "full." Together with an active Brd2 gene, it keeps you hungry and craving dangerous carbohydrates.

Diabetes Prevention with Nutrigenomics

Target gene expression and protect against diabetes with nutrigenomics. Integrate the strategies below into your diabetic diet for preventing Brd2 gene activation.

Nutrigenomic Prevention Strategies
  1. Directly inhibit Brd2 activation with 200 mg/day of lipoic acid.
  2. Eat 75% of daily calories in 3 meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner). Eat the remaining 25% in 3 snacks spread throughout the day.
  3. Eat complex carbohydrates and lean protein within 1 hour after waking, this breaks the overnight fast.
  4. Supplement with 100 mg/day of lemon balm and 200 mg/day of theanine (from green tea) for stress relief.
  5. Supplement twice a day with fish oils, providing 2000 mg/serving of omega-3 fats for easing inflammation.
  6. Supplement with Irvingia gabonensis (a West Afrigan plant) 300 mg/day for hunger control.
  7. Supplement with a pine nut extract, providing 250-500 mg/day for additional hunger control.




Return from Diabetes Prevention to Information Page

Return to Diabetic Diet Home Page